Thursday, July 19, 2012

Adventures in Pirate Land

Yes, it's that time again. Time for another set of weirdness from me. In this weeks edition: Pirates of the Caribbean! Yeah that's pretty much all I've been doing...

Lately, a couple days anyway, I have become, depressingly, maddeningly obsessed with playing the Pirates of the Caribbean online game. I find it incredibly addictive. You can play it for free until you get to a certain point and then it laughs in your face and taunts you that you can't finish the missions you were working on for days. So yes, sadly I did pay $5 to be able to play for a month and have unlimited access.

In the game, you design your pirate and get missions to accomplish, you usually get three or so mission at a time, so if you want to put off plundering some Navy ships, you can go fight the undead to collect dust from them. There are lots of different islands you can go to. So far, the only big ones I've been to are Tortuga, Port Royal and Cuba. In fact, the other day, I swam around the entire island of Cuba because I couldn't remember how to get to Tia Dalma's shack. It took me about 30 minutes and was possibly the most boring 30 minutes of my life. Although I did end up finding a volcano island because of it.

When playing, you can join a crew or a guild (I have yet to do either. Lone wolf! Arrooo!!) and you can talk to other players in the game (by way of typing, not talking) Also, if you're near other people having a conversation, you can overhear their conversation. My favorite I've ever heard was last night.

Pirate 1:Yo black man, what are you doing?
Pirate 2: Being black

It was so random. Usually it's "how do I get out of here?" or "Want to join my crew/guild?"

Oddly enough, my favorite activity in the game is fishing. I am frakkin' amazing at it. I love it because it's easy, not too time consuming and you can get lots of gold off it. I bought myself a 3000g French Assassin's coat only from catching fish. It's awesome. Another of my favorite things is when you run by someone and they are kind of slumped over. When you've been away from your computer/the game for a while your character slumps over and says AFK (Away from Keyboard) over your head. Depending on the time of day, there are a lot of "sleeping" people. It amuses me.

My least favorite is fixing my ship. I hate fixing my ship. Probably why I hate when a mission says I have to go out and plunder ships. I much prefer to keep my feet on dry ground. I guess that makes me kind of a crappy pirate. But I am an amazingly well-dressed one.

No comments:

Post a Comment